FIFA publishes report into 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process after leak

first_imgFIFA has taken the dramatic step of publishing a controversial internal report into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process after it was leaked to a German newspaper this week.Produced by FIFA’s chief ethics investigator Michael Garcia in 2014, the report’s contents have been kept secret until Bild obtained a copy and started publishing it on Tuesday.The first set of revelations from the so-called Garcia report were not particularly new but still painted a bleak picture of the background to the infamous 2010 vote that gave the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. More damning revelations about the Qatari bid, however, were expected from Bild on Wednesday, only for FIFA to spike its guns by publishing the whole report on its website.In a statement, FIFA said the new bosses of its independent ethics committee, chief investigator Maria Claudia Rojas and lead judge Vassilios Skouris, had taken the decision.It said FIFA president Gianni Infantino and the current members of the FIFA Council had been calling for this move for over a year but had been blocked by the predecessors of Rojas and Skouris, Cornel Borbely and Hans-Joachim Eckert, who were unceremoniously replaced last month.Borbely co-authored the report with Garcia and Eckert wrote a highly contentious 42-page “summary” of the report which Garcia immediately disowned, before resigning.The FIFA statement added: “The ethics committee will meet in its full composition under the new chairpersons for the first time next week, and it was already planned to use this opportunity to discuss the publication of the report.“However, as the document has been illegally leaked to a German newspaper, the new chairpersons have requested the immediate publication of the full report (including the reports on the Russian and US bid teams, which were conducted by Mr Borbely alone) in order to avoid the dissemination of any misleading information.“For the sake of transparency, FIFA welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published.” 1last_img read more

Continue reading

BIG NIGHT AHEAD FOR LETTERKENNY AC AT ARENA 7

first_imgLetterkenny Athletic Club will launch its International Track and Field event at 9.00 pm in Arena 7 tomorrow night (Thurs). This will be followed by the final draw of the LAC Silver Circle, when €3,500 in prize money will be up for grabs.It has been a busy year for the club to date and all those who purchased a ticket in the fundraising draw are welcome to come along to Arena 7 for is expected to be a great night.Light refreshments will be served.Having staged the first four minute mile in Donegal last year at the Danny McDaid Track at the Aura Leisure Centre, the club will announce details of another top international track and field meet which will take place on Friday, July 10th.BIG NIGHT AHEAD FOR LETTERKENNY AC AT ARENA 7 was last modified: May 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue reading

Cole may keep options open with City and United keen – report

first_imgReal Madrid and Paris ­Saint-Germain are to open talks with Ashley Cole about a ­summer move, according to the Sunday Mirror.It is claimed both clubs are willing to offer the Chelsea star a three-year contract but that he may keep his options open, with Manchester United and Manchester City apparently monitoring the situation.There has been speculation about Cole’s future as his contract expires at the end of the season and he is yet to agree a new deal at Stamford Bridge.The Sunday Mirror also say Chelsea believe they will sign striker Radamel Falcao from Atletico Madrid for £40m, while the Sunday Telegraph suggest the Blues are now favourites to sign Newcastle’s Demba Ba.And the Sunday People say Chelsea will have to wait until the summer if they want Bayer Leverkusen striker Andre Schurrle, as the German club have apparently refused to sell him in January.Meanwhile, QPR want to sign Mevlut Erdinc from French club Rennes, the People say.It is claimed R’s boss Harry Redknapp is keen to capture the forward along with Joe Cole and West Ham’s Mohamed Diame.Everton’s ­Sylvain Distin is again linked with a move to Loftus Road, this time by the Sunday Mirror, who suggest he is a back-up option if Rangers fail to land Tottenham’s Michael Dawson.This page is regularly updated.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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Continue reading

Microsoft Raises Antitrust Stink About Google Blocking YouTube App

first_imgWhat it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement dan rowinski Tags:#Android#Google#Microsoft#Windows Phone#YouTube Related Posts center_img Google and Microsoft are at it again over YouTube on Windows Phone.Google has, once again, revoked YouTube access to Microsoft over its app for Windows Phone. Google denied access of the YouTube application programming interface to Windows Phone yesterday after the companies supposedly worked together to build a new version of the app after Google complained that Microsoft was violating YouTube’s terms of service when it published its own YouTube app in May.If you have not been keeping up with this saga, here is how it went down: Microsoft published a YouTube app that it had built for Windows Phone. Microsoft had reversed engineered the YouTube API and built an app that violated certain YouTube developer terms of service, including stripping of pre-roll ads (that help pay YouTube video makers) and allowing downloads of video.Google issued a complaint to Microsoft over the Windows Phone YouTube app and Microsoft agreed to take it down. In a joint statement later in May, Microsoft and Google agreed to work together to build a new app compliant with YouTube’s terms of service:Microsoft and YouTube are working together to update the new YouTube for Windows Phone app to enable compliance with YouTube’s API terms of service, including enabling ads, in the coming weeks. Microsoft will replace the existing YouTube app in Windows Phone Store with the previous version during this time.Earlier this week, Microsoft revealed its “new” YouTube app for Windows Phone. The app showed pre-roll ads based on Google’s ad services and disabled downloads. Yet it still was not up to Google’s snuff.According to a blog post by David Howard, Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel of Microsoft’s Litigation & Antitrust division, Google had asked Microsoft to build the app in HTML5 in the cooperative process. According to Howard, Microsoft thought this request was odd given that neither the iPhone nor Android versions of the YouTube app were built in HTML5. So, Microsoft decided to go ahead and release its non-HTML5 app this week in such a way that was compliant with Google’s previous complaints. Google still found fault with the YouTube for Windows Phone and revoked the API access key to the app, rendering the app useless for end users.“It seems to us that Google’s reasons for blocking our app are manufactured so that we can’t give our users the same experience Android and iPhone users are getting. The roadblocks Google has set up are impossible to overcome, and they know it,” Howard said.A YouTube spokesperson told reporters this week, “Microsoft has not made the browser upgrades necessary to enable a fully-featured YouTube experience, and has instead re-released a YouTube app that violates our Terms of Service.”Request for a detailed response to Microsoft and Howard’s comments from Google have not been returned as of publication of this article.Howard said that Google’s complaints stem around the fact that the app is not built on HTML, do not always serve pre-roll advertisements based on content creator guidelines, is an “inferior product” and how Microsoft brands the YouTube app for Windows Phone.“We think it’s clear that Google just doesn’t want Windows Phone users to have the same experience as Android and Apple users, and that their objections are nothing other than excuses,” Howard said. “Nonetheless, we are committed to giving our users the experience they deserve, and are happy to work with Google to solve any legitimate concerns they may have. In the meantime, we once again request that Google stop blocking our YouTube app.”Microsoft’s Rhetoric, Google’s ReticenceOne important note in Microsoft’s objection is the source of the complaint. The post alleging foul play by Google does not come from the Windows Phone team such as Todd Brix, Microsoft general manager, Windows Phone apps and store team or any of Brix’ cohorts. The complaint comes from Howard, head of Microsoft’s antitrust division.It seems these days that Microsoft’s antitrust division has little to do with protecting, preventing or defending antitrust matters at, you know, Microsoft. The Redmond, Washington-based company has been the ringleader of a global hunt against Google. In the United States and Europe, Microsoft has been the forefront of a group called FairSearch.org that has one and only goal in its existence: to nail Google to the wall for real or perceived unfair business practices.The group has not really had much success against Google in its mission, hitting roadblocks in the courts in both the U.S. and E.U. That hasn’t stopped the rhetoric and accusations from Microsoft, as Howard’s complaint of the new Windows Phone YouTube app shows.For Google’s side, it asked Microsoft to do something and Microsoft did not or was not able to comply. So, Microsoft forged ahead with its own solution and Google put the kibosh on it. Google’s argument is that it will want to protect its content creators and create a product up to its standards. Yet, according to Microsoft, Google has not given Microsoft the resources to perform those goals.Google has said in the past that the reason that it has not created its own YouTube app for Windows Phone (instead leaving development to Microsoft itself) is because of the lack of market share for Windows Phone devices. Google has also taken a similar stance with BlackBerry, whose YouTube app for BlackBerry 10 devices is little more than a shortcut to the mobile Web version of the site. It is hard to tell why Google does not play ball with Microsoft. Usually, Google’s modus operandi is to get as many people using its services across the world in whatever ways possible. Float balloons with free cellular connectivity over remote or underserved areas of the world? Sure! See Project Loon. Build high speed Internet access in certain cities in the U.S.? Google Fiber has you covered. But work with Microsoft in what should be the relatively simple task of creating a standard app for YouTube on the third most used mobile operating system? Well, hold on a second there.The only real explanation is that Google and Microsoft just do not really like each other. Microsoft’s only real reaction to Google is to go after it with antitrust rhetoric in the public realm and the courts. Google just tries to ignore Microsoft while creating products that are subversive to Microsoft’s core business. Will there ever be a compromise? Or will Microsoft use this relatively minor issue of a YouTube app to once again take Google to task in the courts? Time will tell.  Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technologylast_img read more

Continue reading

Liverpool loses at last-place Swansea 1-0 in big EPL shock

first_imgMOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City View comments Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LeBron’s numbers sliding while Cavaliers slip in standings Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PHcenter_img NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next LATEST STORIES Liverpool nearly grabbed an equalizer in the fourth and final minute of stoppage time, when Roberto Firmino headed against the post and substitute Adam Lallana’s shot on the rebound was deflected over by the lunging Mawson.“Last weekend feels like it was half a year ago,” Klopp said. “It’s not what I’m interested in. I’m frustrated and angry.”Swansea stayed in last place but was tied on 20 points with West Bromwich Albion, three off safety.Fourth-place Liverpool was only two points ahead of Tottenham in the race to secure one of four qualification spots for next season’s Champions League.Liverpool hadn’t lost in the league since Oct. 22, a 4-1 defeat at Tottenham.ADVERTISEMENT Liverpool’s Sadio Mane reacts on the pitch, during the English Premier League soccer match between Swansea City and Liverpool, at the Liberty Stadium, in Swansea, Wales, Monday, Jan. 22, 2018. (Nick Potts/PA via AP)SWANSEA, Wales — A week after inflicting Manchester City’s first loss in the English Premier League, Liverpool lost at last-place Swansea 1-0 on Monday and ended its 18-match unbeaten run in all competitions.Alfie Mawson’s 40th-minute strike secured one of the most surprising results of the season on a night Liverpool’s usually lethal attack toiled at Liberty Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding “If you put a Formula One (car) in London at 4 o’clock in the traffic, the Formula One (car) will not run very fast like it should,” Swansea manager Carlos Carvalhal said. “It was exactly what we should do to play Liverpool — put them to play the way they don’t like.”It was a far cry from Liverpool’s devastating display in its 4-3 win over runaway leader City eight days earlier when Juergen Klopp’s team didn’t seem to miss the departed Philippe Coutinho, who joined Barcelona for 160 million euros ($192 million) this month.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLiverpool could have done with Coutinho’s creativity against a Swansea side that defended stoutly, stifling Mohamed Salah for the most part, and took its only real chance.From a Swansea corner from the right, Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk could head the ball only back into the danger area where it hit the shins of Federico Fernandez. His central defensive partner, Mawson, shot on the turn from eight meters and it flew into the corner past goalkeeper Loris Karius. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasalast_img read more

Continue reading