SHARJAH, United Arab Emirates (AP):Pakistan offpsinner Shoaib Malik struck twice in his farewell Test and left England struggling at 46-2 yesterday on the fourth day of the third and final Test.Malik (2-8) got Moeen Ali lbw for 22 and then clean bowled Ian Bell for a duck after Pakistan were dismissed for 355 to set up England with a tricky target of 284 for a series-leveling victory.England need a further 238 runs today but will face a stern test against the spinning trio of Malik, Yasir Shah and Zulfiqar Babar on a turning wicket. England have never successfully chased more than 209 runs in a Test match in Asia.England captain Alastair Cook was holding one end up with unbeaten 17, while Joe Root was not out on six.Malik announced his retirement from Test cricket yesterday to focus on the 2019 World Cup after claiming his career-best 4-33 in England’s first innings score of 306. The off-spinner tied down Ali while bowling round the wicket before he got one straight enough to have the left-hander caught on the backfoot. Ali’s series ended with only 84 runs in six innings.Ali was struck on the back of the head by Wahab Riaz’s bouncer in the second over and needed extra cushion from the dressing room to place inside his helmet before continuing.Earlier, Mohammad Hafeez capitalised on two chances to score 151 with 15 fours and three sixes, while Asad Shafiq made 46 before Pakistan were dismissed after tea. Stuart Broad finished with 3-44, while James Anderson took 2-52.
FIFA has taken the dramatic step of publishing a controversial internal report into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process after it was leaked to a German newspaper this week.Produced by FIFA’s chief ethics investigator Michael Garcia in 2014, the report’s contents have been kept secret until Bild obtained a copy and started publishing it on Tuesday.The first set of revelations from the so-called Garcia report were not particularly new but still painted a bleak picture of the background to the infamous 2010 vote that gave the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. More damning revelations about the Qatari bid, however, were expected from Bild on Wednesday, only for FIFA to spike its guns by publishing the whole report on its website.In a statement, FIFA said the new bosses of its independent ethics committee, chief investigator Maria Claudia Rojas and lead judge Vassilios Skouris, had taken the decision.It said FIFA president Gianni Infantino and the current members of the FIFA Council had been calling for this move for over a year but had been blocked by the predecessors of Rojas and Skouris, Cornel Borbely and Hans-Joachim Eckert, who were unceremoniously replaced last month.Borbely co-authored the report with Garcia and Eckert wrote a highly contentious 42-page “summary” of the report which Garcia immediately disowned, before resigning.The FIFA statement added: “The ethics committee will meet in its full composition under the new chairpersons for the first time next week, and it was already planned to use this opportunity to discuss the publication of the report.“However, as the document has been illegally leaked to a German newspaper, the new chairpersons have requested the immediate publication of the full report (including the reports on the Russian and US bid teams, which were conducted by Mr Borbely alone) in order to avoid the dissemination of any misleading information.“For the sake of transparency, FIFA welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published.” 1
This is a guest post by OSU student Kaid Kinzie. If you’re interested in helping out with PFB, email me at pistolsfiringblog at gmail dot com.There are already a great number of expectations heading into the 2015 season for Cowboy football. With such a powerful end to last season, and with the hopes of the first franchise QB stepping into the spotlight since Brandon Weeden left Stillwater, many are ready to see what this football team can bring to the table come September.Out of all the position groups preparing for a new year, which looks most impressive? This Cowboy football team looks better prepared for this season overall as a team, and an argument could probably be made for each position.For starters, CB is a position that was possibly being overlooked before the OSU spring game. Justifiably so, however, considering OSU was only able to force 14 turnovers as a defensive unit last season. But early on in the spring game, the cornerbacks came alive with two interceptions on back-to-back drives (I saw that pick, Ramon Richards, but Kevin Peterson’s pick six was better).A third interception came later from Darius Curry; maybe making some wonder if these picks will carry over into the fall. With OSU’s defense preaching their new catchphrase, “We’re taking it back”, Cowboy fans can’t help but let their hopes rise a little.The position that sticks out most is QB. After the way Mason Rudolph closed out last season, it’s hard to not be excited about his future potential.While watching the OSU vs. Baylor game in Rudolph’s first collegiate career start, it was hard to believe how calm and confident he looked behind that weak offensive line. If that confidence and poise can carry into this season, with a hopefully-improved OL, Cowboys fans will get a longer and sweeter taste of how good this kid can be.Also, with JW Walsh manning the 2nd-team slot with his quickness and running ability, and after a pleasantly-surprising spring showing from freshman John Kolar, the Cowboys could be tough to stop at QB.Overall, what other positions could be a force? With James Castleman gone but Emmanuel Ogbah still wrecking havoc on opposing offenses, how will OSU’s defensive line fair?With Rennie Childs trying to come in strong at the RB position and Todd Mays and Chris Carson on their way, what will OSU’s run game look like? And what about that WR group? With James Washington returning as a sophomore and Chris Lacy passing 100 yards receiving during the spring game.Several question marks still fill the Cowboys position groups, but for now, it would appear that QB is one area most fans can place their confidence.Returning as only a sophomore, and with both coaches and players saying he’s ready to lead the team, let’s hope we’re looking at Stillwater’s next Brandon Weeden in Rudolph.Photo Attribution: USATSIIf you’re looking for the comments section, it has moved to our forum, The Chamber. You can go there to comment and holler about these articles, specifically in these threads. You can register for a free account right here and will need one to comment.If you’re wondering why we decided to do this, we wrote about that here. Thank you and cheers!
Imphal: A militant has been arrested and a cache of arms and ammunition recovered in separate incidents in Manipur, police said. A team of Manipur Police arrested the militant, belonging to Kangleipak Communist Party (KK Nganba group), while conducting a search operation at Thoubal Bazaar area on Monday, a statement said. Meanwhile, a combined team of Manipur Police and Assam Rifles recovered a cache of arms and ammunition, during a search operation for Kuki National Front (KNF-N) militants, at B Gamnom village in Imphal East district on Saturday, it said. The cache, comprising an AK-47 rifle, a Lethod gun with four shells and a large number of AK-47 bullets were found buried in the ground, it said.
Jakarta: Indonesia has shipped tonnes of Australian garbage out of the country, an official said Tuesday, as Southeast Asian nations push back against serving as dumping grounds for foreign trash. Eight containers of trash — weighing some 210 tonnes — left Indonesia’s second-biggest city Surabaya on Monday aboard a cargo ship bound for Singapore, the local customs agency said. The move comes less than a week after Australia pledged to stop exporting recyclable waste amid global concerns about plastic polluting the oceans and increasing pushback from Asian nations against accepting trash. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USLast month, Indonesia said it would return the Australian rubbish after authorities found hazardous material and household trash, including used diapers and electronic waste, in containers meant to hold only waste paper. “Six containers contaminated with (hazardous) waste and two containers mixed with household rubbish” left Indonesia on Monday, said Alvina Christine Zebua, a spokeswoman for the East Java customs agency. She could not confirm when the containers might arrive back in Australia. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsLast month Indonesia returned seven shipping containers of illegally imported waste to France and Hong Kong that were seized in Batam Island near Singapore. Those containers were loaded with a combination of garbage, plastic waste and hazardous materials in violation of import rules. Batam authorities were also preparing to return another 42 containers of waste, including shipments from the United States, Australia and Germany. China used to receive the bulk of scrap plastic from around the world but closed its doors to foreign refuse last year in an effort to clean up its environment. Huge quantities of waste have since been redirected to Southeast Asia, including Malaysia, Indonesia and to a lesser degree the Philippines.