Hospital board discusses issuer default rating

first_img Twitter Spirits were high at the Tuesday night Ector County Hospital District Board meeting as board members received and discussed the recently downgraded Fitch rating, with eyes on improving that rating in the future.ECHD’s issuer default rating was downgraded from BBB to BB+, a rating Fitch indicates as speculative, and received a revised rating outlook from negative to stable, Medical Center Health System CFO Robert Abernethy told the board.Abernethy stressed to the board that the hospital is not in default for 2017, as they are well within their debt service coverage ratio covenant, and the rating does not predict the market value of bonds.“The downgrade really cost us nothing at this point in time,” Abernethy said. “It does not impact the interest rate of the bond and it does not increase the cost of the bond.”ECHD has $44.65 million hospital revenue refunding bonds from a 2010 bond series for the MCH Center for Health and Wellness, 8050 E. Highway 191, and MCH Center for Women and Infants, 500 W. Fourth St.Abernethy told the board the stabilized rating was attributed to the recent boom in the local economy and to what the new leadership in Abernethy and the recently appointed CEO and President, Rick Napper, plan on accomplishing.Now that the hospital has reached a plateau of stability, Abernethy said it was time to start climbing up the side of the canyon.“Obviously, this is not what we wanted to happen” Napper said about the downgrade. “It was not unanticipated. I could have told you in October when I interviewed that I thought that was going to happen.”Despite some of the issues brought up by Fitch, Napper said there were several things they were impressed with as well.“They were very impressed with what we have planned as far as how we are going to correct the direction of the ship,” he said. “I can assure this board with great confidence that you will see some, I believe, significant changes over the next six months. In a year-and-a-half, we may be talking about how we are being talked about across the country.”Napper said the hospital would be “releasing the hounds,” allowing the employees to help succeed and said the medical staff and physicians are wanting to jump on board and help turn the ship around.“I just look forward to being able to have Robert stand up there when we talk about getting back to the A rating, and we will be there,” he said.The recent satisfaction report showed strong signs of improvement. For the month of February, responsiveness of staff moved form the 8th percentile to the 58th percentile, communication medications went from the 6th percentile to the 77th percentile, and MD communication increased from the 13th percentile to the 56th percentile.“This talent in this organization is unbelievable, so we just need to unleash it,” Napper said.The board also heard from Chief Patient Experience Officer Heather Bulman, who presented an engagement agreement to be renewed between ECHD and Studer Group.Studer Group works with healthcare organizations to improve clinical outcomes and financial results. Having worked with ECHD since 2015, the agreement entails leadership coaching and physician coaching targeting improved communication and patient experience, and has objectives of improving patient satisfaction and physician engagement.“We believe that by achieving these objectives, this will synergistically lead to improved quality and safety of care, decreased average length of stay and achievement in financial goals,” Bulman said.Bulman added that since 2015, ECHD has seen three hospital units move to the top quartile for the patient experience overall rating, and all other units have shown significant improvement. She said they have also seen more engagement among employees, and better interdepartmental communication and teamwork.Napper added that he felt like Studer Group had previously been a false start beforehand due to low participation, and will require its use among hospital leaders from now on.“Studer only works if every leader takes it as serious as it needs to be,” Napper said. “Any of the failures of the Studer Group is not a result of the Studer Group, it is a result of how we implemented it.”The board passed the new agreement with Studer Group unanimously. Hospital board discusses issuer default rating By admin – April 3, 2018 WhatsApp WhatsApp Twitter Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Local NewsGovernment Facebook Previous articleCrowe outlines need for tax ratification electionNext articleChocolate shop opens Saturday adminlast_img read more

Continue reading

Press release: Measures to end unequal mental health treatment kickstarted by PM

first_imgNew measures to overhaul urgently mental health laws and end the unequal treatment faced by ethnic minority groups have been set out by Prime Minister Theresa May today.The government will take forward key recommendations from Sir Simon Wessely’s independent review of the Mental Health Act, which found black adults are approximately four times more likely than white adults to be detained under the Act.The Prime Minister also confirmed that a White Paper will be published by DHSC and MoJ before the end of the year in response to the review. This will set out the steps necessary to provide greater dignity and better care for all those treated under the Mental Health Act, and to tackle inequalities in the mental health care system.Healthcare bosses and senior members of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act attended a roundtable with the Prime Minister at Number 10 Downing Street this afternoon. They discussed the government’s plans for early action to reform mental health legislation and services to particularly benefit ethnic minority groups, which include: Prime Minister Theresa May Professor Sir Simon Wessely, Chair, Independent Review of the Mental Health Act Steven Gilbert OBE, Vice-Chair, Independent Review of the Mental Health Act Sir Mark Hedley, Vice-Chair, Independent Review of the Mental Health Act Baroness Julia Neuberger Vice-Chair, Independent Review of the Mental Health Act Jacqui Dyer MBE, Mental Health Equalities Champion Paul Farmer CBE, Chief Executive, Mind Kate King MBE, Working Group Member of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act Dr Shubulade Smith CBE, Clinical Director, National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health Health Secretary Matt Hancock Mental illness can affect us all, but the shocking evidence that black people are much more likely to be detained under the Mental Health Act shows that we need urgent action to address inequalities in our healthcare system. Today’s measures will drive forward an important conversation about how we best look after people from ethnic minority backgrounds living with mental health conditions and make sure their needs are met. These commitments come alongside a wide-ranging series of prevention measures announced today by the Prime Minister to make sure people have the support they need to look after their mental health. The package includes training for all new teachers so they can spot the signs of mental health issues and updated professional standards for social workers across England to increase their knowledge and skills when dealing with mental illness. Simon Stevens, Chief Executive, NHS England Today marks one year since the Prime Minister announced a historic cash funding boost for the health service, driving the largest expansion of mental health services in a generation under the NHS Long-Term Plan.Attending today’s roundtable were: the first ever Race Equality Framework will ensure NHS mental healthcare providers work with their local communities to improve the ways in which patients access and experience treatment, and ensure data on equality of access is monitored at board level and acted on working with Black African and Caribbean community groups alongside others to develop a White Paper formally setting out a response to Sir Simon’s review further work towards eradicating the use of police cells as a place to detain people experiencing mental illness ahead of banning it in law, building on the Prime Minister’s work to end this practice for under-18s launching a pilot programme of culturally-sensitive advocates in partnership with local authorities and others, to identify how best to represent the mental health needs of ethnic minority groups a partnership between the Care Quality Commission and Equality and Human Rights Commission to review how they can use their regulatory powers to better support equality of access to mental health services an open call for research into how different ethnic minority groups experience mental health treatment and how this can be improved – to be launched later this year by the National Institute for Health Research Prime Minister Theresa May said:last_img read more

Continue reading

Update on the latest in sports:

first_img May 13, 2020 NFL-CARDINALS-PETERSONTEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona Cardinals have re-signed cornerback Kevin Peterson to a one-year contract.The 26-year-old Peterson played in 14 games last season and started three.He was pushed into a bigger role because of Patrick Peterson’s six-game suspension and Robert Alford’s season-ending injury. He had 16 tackles, two passes defended and six special teams tackles after joining the team off waivers from the Rams in September.In other NFL news: Update on the latest in sports: Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-BASEBALLAP source: No MLB economic plan in 1st session with playersNEW YORK (AP) — As Major League Baseball made an opening presentation to the players’ union Tuesday on terms to start the coronavirus-delayed season. A person familiar with the discussion told The Associated Press that MLB did not make an economic proposal during its opening presentation. The meeting lasted between three and four hours. An agreement with the players’ association is needed to play ball.Baseball owners gave their go-ahead to their proposal on Monday, a plan that could lead to the coronavirus-delayed season starting around the Fourth of July weekend in ballparks without fans.Players agreed March 26 to a deal in which they would be paid a prorated share of salaries based on the portion of the 162-game schedule that is played. As part of the deal, if no games are played they would receive service time for 2020 matching what they earned last year. Players are more interested in medical protocols and testing designed to protect them from and detect the new coronavirus.Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker criticized major leaguers for not being willing to cut pay further. A member of the family that controls Hyatt hotels, Pritzker’s net worth has been estimated by Forbes at $3.4 billion.VIRUS OUTBREAK-NBA In other virus outbreak-sports news:—Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has opened the door for professional sports to return to the state. Ducey said on Tuesday that professional sports, including MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL can resume without fans on Saturday. The state is slowly starting to reopen during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.—As Pac-12 football coaches pitched an NCAA-mandated uniform start to the season, some of the latest plans to fight the coronavirus in California further muddled how college teams will return to play in the West. Washington coach Jimmy Lake said Tuesday in a video conference with reporters that he would prefer for all major college teams to begin six weeks of preparation for the season at the same time.— The club that hosts the Wimbledon tennis tournament says it has made donations worth about $1.5 million to emergency services and charities amid the coronavirus pandemic. The All England Club says it has also made contributions to a relief program to support players whose income is affected by the virus outbreak. This year’s grass-court Grand Slam event was canceled on April 1. It is the first time Wimbledon has been shelved since World War II.— The NCAA has canceled both sessions of the NCAA Basketball Academy in July because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The sessions were scheduled for July 20-26 at Utah, Winthrop, Wichita State and Connecticut. Up to 1,600 players from the high school graduating classes between 2021 and 2023 were to be selected to the academy, with up to 400 assigned to each region during the two sessions. — USA Gymnastics will not hold any top-tier events the rest of this year. The organization announced Tuesday it is scrapping the U.S. Classic and the national championships because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The organization had initially hoped to reschedule the events for later in 2020 after Tokyo Olympics were pushed back to the summer of 2021.— On the day they were supposed to hold a parade to mark their 2019 WNBA championship, the Washington Mystics have revealed plans for what the team is billing as a “virtual celebration.” The Mystics originally planned to take to the streets of the nation’s capital on Tuesday, but that was scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic.— The Diamond League event in London is the latest track meet to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. The meet had been scheduled for July 4-5 at the Olympic Stadium. British Athletics says, “the decision has been made in light of the ongoing global pandemic.”—London Mayor Sadiq Khan says he believes it is too early for the Premier League to be planning a resumption of the season amid the coronavirus pandemic. Premier League clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Tottenham and West Ham all play in the capital. The mayor’s office says the league should resume only “when it is safe to do so.”— Swedish soccer players will not be required to take a test for COVID-19 before practice sessions or matches. Players will instead have to fill in a self-assessment form each morning before arriving at training or a match. The club doctor will then assess whether the player is healthy enough to take part. Players must stay at home if they have any symptoms. Women’s golf starts up in South Korea — without fansSEOUL, South Korea (AP) — The South Korean women’s golf tour is starting up again with the KLPGA Championship opening on Thursday, an event that will be played without fans on the course.Women’s golf in South Korea joins Korea’s professional baseball and soccer leagues, which have already restarted in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.The tournament at the Lakewood Country Club located east of the capital Seoul was originally schedule for April 30 through May 3.Organizers said social distancing will be practiced by players and tournament officials. Players will also have hand sanitizers available. It was not clear if players would take coronavirus tests. Associated Press center_img AP Source: Poll of NBA players shows desire to play, if safeMIAMI (AP) — A person familiar with the results of poll of NBA players taken by their union says there would be “overwhelming” support for any plan that has this season resuming in a safe way amid the coronavirus pandemic.The poll conducted by the National Basketball Players Association was informal but gave a clear sense that players would like to not only get to the playoffs but also resume at least some of the regular season, according to the person who shared details with The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because it was not to be detailed publicly.The NBA suspended its season on March 11 with 259 regular season games remaining. Players have been paid in full on each of the four paydays that have followed, though that will change Friday when most of the league sees a 25% reduction in their paycheck.Players stand to lose roughly $850 million in gross salary if the regular season is not resumed and the NBA exercises its right to withhold roughly 1.08% of each player’s salary for any game that is ultimately canceled. —Offensive lineman Danny Pinter has become the first of Indianapolis’ nine draft picks to sign his rookie contract. The 6-foot-4, 306-pound Ball State alum was selected in the fifth round last month, No. 149 overall. Pinter played high school and college football in Indiana and now will have a chance to play in the NFL with his home-state team. Pinter signed a four-year deal worth roughly $3.6 million. NHL-COYOTES-COHEN OUTAP Source: Coyotes president Cohen no longer with teamGLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Arizona Coyotes president and CEO Ahron Cohen is no longer with the organization.That word from a person familiar with the move, who spoke to The Associated Press Tuesday on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement has been made. No other details were provided. The 150-player field is topped by Park Sung-hyun, Kim Sei-young and defending champion Choi Hye-jin.REAL MADRID-CONGOFormer Madrid player questioned in drug-trafficking raidMADRID (AP) — Former Real (RAY’-al) Madrid forward Edwin Congo has been interrogated by police conducting a drug-trafficking operation in Spain.Congo, who is Colombian, told the “El Chiringuito” television show late Tuesday he was asked to accompany officers to a police station for interrogation and was later allowed to return home. MLB-VIRUS OUTBREAK-MARINERSMariners say some on staff taking 20% pay cutsSEATTLE (AP) — The Seattle Mariners have informed its personnel working under uniform employee contracts that certain employees will have a five-month reduction in pay, but there will be no furloughs or layoffs through Oct. 31.The pay reductions of at least 20% are for staff making $60,000 or more. The UEC covers employees on the major league coaching staff, coaches and coordinators in the minor league system, scouts and performance coaches. Those with larger salaries are expected to take a cut more significant than 20%. UEC employees will receive full benefits through October.Approximately half of its employees working under a UEC will not have any reduction in pay. The team had previously told employees working under the UEC that they would receive full pay through May 31. Cohen has been with the Coyotes since being hired in 2015 as chief operating officer and chief legal officer by previous owner Andrew Barroway. Cohen was named president and CEO in 2017 after Steve Patterson stepped back to serve as a consultant and adviser after a year on the job.Alex Meruelo purchased a 95% stake in the team less than a year ago and signed general manager John Chayka to a long-term contract extension early in the 2019-20 season.The Coyotes were still in contention for a Western Conference playoff spot when the NHL season was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.Cohen practiced as a corporate attorney in Phoenix before joining the Coyotes.PURDUE-EASTERN TRANSFER Purdue’s top defender to enter basketball transfer portalWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — First, Nojel Eastern entered his name in the NBA draft. Now the rising senior has put his name into the NCAA’s transfer portal.Either way, it sounds as if the Purdue guard could become the second veteran in a month to leave the Boilermakers program after coach Matt Painter made the announcement Tuesday. Center Matt Haarms announced in April that he would play his final season at Brigham Young.As a junior, Eastern averaged 4.9 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists while shooting just 42.0% from the field and 48.5% from the free-throw line. He will have one year of eligibility remaining.GOLF-SOUTH KOREA-WOMEN He denies any wrongdoing and say he entered the police station with his hands restrained as a “protocol.”Congo says he was questioned about his relationships with some of the people being investigated by police.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Continue reading