Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ Inside the NBA’s beefy, 100-page safety plan for policing the bubble in Orlando, Florida, is an option for anonymously reporting social-distancing violations, or as Brooklyn Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie termed it in an interview with Bleacher Report’s Taylor Rooks: “The snitch hotline.”Montrezl Harrell said he’s definitely gonna pass on that option.“C’mon now,” he said on a Zoom video conference with reporters Wednesday. “Do I look like a player that has used that hotline?”Harrell might have no interest in tattling, but the Athletic’s Shams Charania reported Wednesday that the tip line has received multiple calls of players breaking the league’s safety protocol – or, apparently, for being annoying. Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime During the league’s initial quarantine period last week, someone tipped off security about some “thumping” in a hotel, according to a report by Chris Hayes during an NBA on TNT segment, when he said a security guard went to investigate “and who opened the door? It was Miami Heat forward Jimmy Butler, drenched in sweat with practice gear on from head to toe. He was dribbling a basketball throughout his room the whole time.”Clippers Coach Doc Rivers joked Wednesday that there might be reasons other than safety to put in a call.“I turned in LeBron (James) yesterday,” said Rivers of the Lakers’ superstar. “I’m turning in Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) today. I’m trying to turn all these guys in. I think it’s phenomenal. We’re going to be the only team left when I’m done with this hotline thing.”More seriously, Rivers said he appreciated the NBA’s effort to do everything it can to minimize mask and social distancing violations inside the bubble before the official resumption of the league on July 30, when the Lakers and Clippers are scheduled to play each other. After all, on Wednesday, the Florida Department of Health reported 10,181 new positive coronavirus cases, as well as 453 new hospitalizations, with a positivity rate of 13.59% for new reported cases compared to those tested.“I don’t think it’s a problem at all,” Rivers said of the line. “I think it’s good. This is not some normal thing. COVID obviously, it’s not only that you can get sick but you can get other people sick, and so this is very important for all of us. We want to do our jobs. So I think having a hotline, I guess that’s why they’re calling it, I guess that’s important.” Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 As much as he’ll miss his family in Alabama, Green said he had no reservations about joining the Clippers in Orlando, where they’ll chase the organization’s first championship.“Just happy to be back with my teammates,” he said. “Pretty much a no-brainer for me to come out here and fight with my team.”Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet and Marcus Morris Sr. are the only other Clippers who have not been documented as being in Orlando. Rivers was coy when asked when they’re expected to arrive: “I don’t even know to be honest. I don’t check. To be honest, JaMychal walked in and surprised the hell out of me. So, because they’re in quarantine and stuff, you don’t ever know.” For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory JaMychal Green joinsThe Clippers welcomed back JaMychal Green on Wednesday, when the 6-foot-8 power forward practiced with the team for the first time since the NBA suspended the season March 11. Green arrived in Orlando a couple days after his teammates because of the death of his 100-year-old grandmother, Ruth Green, on July 3.“I’m going to miss my kids, my girlfriend, and just my family, period,” Green said via Zoom. “My son, he just turned 1, so it was great spending time with him the way I did, so I’m definitely going to miss him … My grandma died, so I had to go home just to be around my family.”Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
The Living Beehive, which represents aself-sustaining ecosystem, is a dome-shaped structure that draws onthe architecture of a traditionalZulu beehive hut.(Image: Kevin Joseph) The roof and exterior walls are coveredwith a living layer of foliage.(Image: iKind Media)MEDIA CONTACTS • Lungi ShangeThe Communications Firm+27 11 463 7550RELATED ARTICLES• Waste gives Such artistic inspiration • Soweto building on award shortlist• Top green rating for SA building• Bee fence keeps elephants outWilma den HartighA sustainable architectural installation, designed to get people talking about how healthy ecosystems can help communities cope with climate change, was unveiled at the Durban Botanic Gardens as part of the COP17 climate change conference.The installation has been described as one of the most stimulating exhibitions at the COP17 expo.The Living Beehive, which represents a self-sustaining ecosystem, is a dome-shaped structure that draws on the architecture of a traditional Zulu beehive hut.Traditional Zulu beehive huts, known as iQhugwane, are efficiently-designed homes which use natural and sustainable materials. They are warm in winter and cool in summer, with built-in ventilation.South Africa needs new ideas to deal with the challenges of a changing climate. This installation shows how traditional knowledge and natural resources can inspire modern innovation to find solutions to climate change.The Living Beehive was created from a combination of traditional beehive hut construction techniques, modern day materials such as industrial steel, and indigenous plants.A work of artThe 17-metre wide and nine-metre high installation is a beautiful work of art. The frame was built using high-tech steel, while a walkway through the interior of the dome enables visitors to experience the integration of infrastructure and the environment.The roof and exterior walls are covered with a living layer of foliage such as forest and wetland plants, as well as indigenous grasses typically found in grasslands in KwaZulu-Natal.Creepers are suspended in dense mats down the sides of the dome to allow just enough air to circulate into the cool interior.At the event, deputy minister of Water and Environmental Affairs Rejoice Mabudafhasi said that the Living Beehive is an example of nature and people working together.“By recognising the importance of built and ecological infrastructure, and by bringing together natural and man-made design, the Living Beehive shows us the possibilities for job creation, service delivery and economic growth in a truly green economy,” Mabudafhasi said in a statement.Statistics provided by the Durban Botanic Garden indicate that more than four-million rural South Africans depend directly on healthy ecosystems for their livelihoods.Greater efforts to conserve and restore natural landscapes can provide more opportunities for job creation and the development of biodiversity-based industries and jobs.A living legacy projectThe Department of Environmental Affairs and the UN Industrial Development Organisation jointly funded the Living Beehive project.The South African National Biodiversity Institute, the eThekwini Municipality and the Durban Botanic Gardens Trust are responsible for implementing the project.The installation is permanent and will remain in the botanical garden as a COP17 legacy project.Mzansi’s Golden EconomyThe Living Beehive is one of many art, culture and heritage events at the COP17 conference.As part of the arts and culture offering at this year’s climate change conference, Arts and Culture minister Paul Mashatile launched the department’s new strategy for the arts, culture and heritage sector.The new strategy, known as Mzansi’s Golden Economy, highlights the sector’s contribution to economic growth, job creation and social cohesion.The Department of Arts and Culture has also organised a series of events to flaunt South African identity and highlight the gravity of climate change.The events will demonstrate how artists can contribute to fighting poverty, job creation and skills development, with minimal damage to the earth.
Unesco’s World Heritage Committee has included South Africa’s ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape on its list of world heritage sites.The ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape is inscribed as a world heritage site in July 2017. (Image: Francois Odendaal Productions, via Unesco)Priya PitamberSouth Africa’s ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape in the Northern Cape has been inscribed as a world heritage site.The United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) World Heritage Committee also inscribed two other sites from Africa – in Eritrea and Angola – during its 41st session in Krakow, Poland.‡Khomani Cultural Landscape inscribed as world heritage site by UNESCO at its 41st session. See » https://t.co/0QEVWv6738 pic.twitter.com/uUe656SpUe— Environmentza(@environmentza) July 12, 2017“The decision that was taken today marks a long-awaited historical moment for us, the ‡Khomani San, and all other San/Bushman communities,” said Dirk Pienaar, a ǂKhomani community member, addressing the session.He said it was an acknowledgement of universal value and importance. “This listing will thus provide a foundation for us to continue to preserve, protect and practise our ancient culture and traditions with minimum threat of extinction within the current society.”What it isThe ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape is located at South Africa’s border with Botswana and Namibia in the northern part of the country. It falls within the Kalahari Gemsbok National Park.The landscape covers an area of 959,100ha, according to the Department of Environmental Affairs.“The ǂKhomani and related San people are unique in that they descend directly from an ancient population that existed in southern Africa some 150,000 years ago,” said the department. “[They are] the ancestors of the entire human race.”This area, with its abundance of red dunes, had changed minimally since the Stone Age. The ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape had been home to people who learned to survive in the extreme desert because of their knowledge of the land, said the department.“They [the ǂKhomani San] developed a specific ethnobotanical knowledge, cultural practices and a worldview related to the geographical features of their environment,” said Unesco. “The ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape bears testimony to the way of life that prevailed in the region and shaped the site over thousands of years.”Other sitesAngola’s Mbanza Kongo and Eritrea’s Asmara were the other African sites inscribed as world heritage sites.Mbanza Kongo, said Unesco, was the political and spiritual capital of the Kingdom of Kongo, one of the largest states in southern Africa from the 14th century to the 19th century. When the Portuguese arrived, stone buildings were added. “Mbanza Kongo illustrates, more than anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa, the profound changes caused by the introduction of Christianity and the arrival of the Portuguese into Central Africa.”#Angola– The ruins of a 16th century cathedral (built in 1549) at #MbanzaKongo, said to be theoldest church in sub-Saharan #Africa. pic.twitter.com/5Vjws5ZHDs— Africasfacts (@africasfacts) July 17, 2017Asmara, 2,000 metres above sea level and the capital of Eritrea, became a military outpost for Italy, its colonial power. After 1935, the city went through a massive construction project. “It is an exceptional example of early modernist urbanism at the beginning of the 20th century and its application in an African context.”South Africa already has eight world heritage sites: Fossil Hominid Sites of South Africa, Maloti-Drakensberg Park (Transboundary with Lesotho), Mapungubwe Cultural Landscape, Vredefort Dome, Richtersveld Cultural and Botanical Landscape, Robben Island Museum, iSimangaliso Wetland Park and the Cape Floral Region Protected Areas.A great recognitionIn her acceptance speech, the director-general of the Department of Environmental Affairs, Nosipho Ngcaba, said South Africa was committed to supporting efforts of economic development in the area, contributing to job creation, enhancing tourism experiences, and contributing to skills development.Pienaar said the community would continue to respect their culture and pass it on to future generations.“Conservation for us is not a planned action or a buzzword to use to impress when needed,” he said. “It is [not] a choice but a way of life that is instilled within all San people from a very tender age.”He also gave thanks to the elder community members, including “Oupa Dawid Kruiper and Ouma Una Rooi, who died sadly whilst fighting for our cause”.Source: Unesco, Department of Environmental AffairsWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Todd NeeleyDTN Staff ReporterOMAHA (DTN) — The EPA has until July 18 to address objections to its 2007 decision to reject a petition asking the agency to ban chlorpyrifos, as a result of an order issued on Friday by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco.The order came after a hearing before all of the judges of the Ninth Circuit on March 26, 2019. That hearing was requested by the EPA, after a smaller panel by the court last year ordered the cancellation of all chlorpyrifos registrations.According to the order handed down on Friday, the agency indicated during oral arguments it could consider and have a decision within 90 days on objections filed by the League of United Latin American Citizens, or LULAC.The EPA denied a petition filed by environmental groups on March 30, 2017, to ban the pesticide outright. The agency said in a statement at the time that farmers need chlorpyrifos, and “sound science” when making decisions.The LULAC objected to the decision and the agency did not respond to those objections.The agency’s rejection of the 2007 petition was a surprising reversal from the stance of the EPA under the Obama administration, which had indicated as recently as fall 2016 that it was prepared to issue a full ban on the pesticide. The Ninth Circuit last year decided the EPA had been ignoring its own science that showed chlorpyrifos is allegedly a danger to children.In August 2018, the EPA asked for an “en banc” hearing before all non-recused judges in the Ninth Circuit. En banc hearings are reserved for cases that are particularly complex.On Aug. 9, 2018, a three-judge panel on the court ordered EPA to cancel all chlorpyrifos registrations in 60 days. The court ruled the agency was not justified in maintaining the insecticide’s registration “in the face of scientific evidence that its residue on food causes neurodevelopmental damage to children.” Chlorpyrifos’ registration was set to end on Oct. 9, 2018.Chlorpyrifos is the main ingredient in Dow AgroScience’s Lorsban insecticide, which targets pests such as soybean aphids, spider mites and corn rootworm.Attorneys with the U.S. Department of Justice argued in EPA’s petition that the law requires the court to allow the EPA to reconsider the insecticide’s registration.The petition argued the court’s revocation of the registration was in conflict with cancellation requirements laid out in the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act, or FIFRA.The legal pursuit began in 2007 when the Pesticide Action Network North America and the Natural Resources Defense Council petitioned EPA to cancel chlorpyrifos registrations.Following the court’s August 2018 decision, an EPA spokesman told DTN the decision was based on data that was not accessible to the agency.A Columbia Center for Children’s Environmental Health study has been widely used as support for the ban, despite divergent scientific views among EPA scientific review panels, and former President Barack Obama’s administration’s USDA questioning the study and its data.A 2016 EPA scientific advisory panel indicated some members of that panel said they had difficulty assessing the study, because the raw data from the study was not made available.On July 30, 2018, the California Department of Pesticide Regulation released a scientific assessment that concluded that chlorpyrifos should be listed as a toxic air contaminant in the state based on evidence of its neurological effects and exposure risks.Todd Neeley can be reached at [email protected] him on Twitter @toddneeleyDTN(CCSK)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.
Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting klint finley Program or Be Programmed author Douglas Rushkoff proposes that we fork the Internet, and he’s convening a summit on the subject. Contact will be held October 20, 2011 at the Angel Orensanz Center in New York City. From Rushkoff’s description, it sounds like it will be conference/unconference hybrid: there will be scheduled speakers, but attendees will also be able to convene meetings at the event.We’ve highlighted a few projects that aim to create a create government-less Internet before. This isn’t a new idea for Rushkoff either. In this CNN piece he suggested the creation of a new Internet that would work a bit more like FidoNet.Here’s Rushkoff’s proposed list of subjects:TECHNOLOGYBUSINESS AND ECONOMICSCULTUREGOVERNMENTMEANING 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Related Posts What Factors Facilitate Collective Intelligence?The Reclamation of Public Space “Contact will hope to revive the spirit of optimism and infinite possibility of the early cyber-era, folding the edges of this culture back to the middle,” Rushkoff writes. That sounds a little too utopian and nostalgic, but this is an important event. I also like the slogan: “Content was never king. Contact is.” Arts networking initiativesDecentralized social networking platforms A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Proxy voting to expert friendsopen source democracy“Filter Bubbles” and how to prevent them New net-based currencies and transaction networksNet-enabled Local Activism and Job Creation Can we build an alternative Internet that can’t be turned off?Alternatives to top-down registries and corporate-controlled access Tags:#cloud#events Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic…
I recently heard a story about a company that sues their clients when they attempt to terminate the relationship. It doesn’t matter if this company isn’t performing up to their client’s expectations or needs. This company doesn’t care that they’re not creating the value their clients need from them. If they leave early, they get sued.When I heard this story, I was incredulous. I mean, if a company sued a client for breaking the contract once, I’d assume it was under some rare circumstances. But I was wrong. This company routinely sues their clients, and their existing clients won’t consider changing firms until their contract with this firm expires.I can’t imagine signing a contract with this company knowing that this is their practice. If I were their competitor, I’d use all of the clients they sued as my references.Everyone has a contractual relationship. But if the contract is the basis of your clients doing business with you, then you are failing as a sales organization (and you are failing a business).A contractual relationship is a very weak form of relationships. The strongest relationship you can have is one built on caring and creating value. Those are the relationships that stand the test of time. They’re also the relationships that withstand competitive threats.If your client does business with you only because you have a contract, your relationship isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.