Two Ghanaians are refusing to return to their Egyptian club because of security concerns in the North African nation.Petrojet players Cofie and Eric Bekoe fled Egypt a week after anti-government protests began as they grew concerned over the escalating violence.Despite being called back by coach Helmi Toulan five days ago, the Ghanaians are refusing to travel.“My family won’t allow me to go back as they feel it’s unsafe – they don’t want to lose a child,” Cofie told BBC Sport.“At the moment, I honestly don’t feel like going back unless the situation changes.“I don’t want to go through what I went through again – it was a bit scary.” Two days after the widespread protests began, Egypt’s FA (EFA) postponed the local league.On Monday, the EFA told the BBC’s African sports programme Fast Track that it hopes to receive permission from security forces to restart the league in early MarchCofie, 22, has called his experience a ‘life and death situation’, whereby he grew increasingly worried about the events that ultimately prompted the downfall of President Hosni Mubarak.As some of the demonstrations turned violent, with over 300 believed to have died across the country, the Bekoes (who are unrelated) made a dash for home.“We had heard from no one at Petrojet – neither the coach nor any official, just from a fellow player who was at home protecting his family,” said Cofie, who won a Ghana cap last year. “We were on our way to the airport and weren’t too far from our house when we heard people firing gunshots.”“There were many people on the road and it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life.“We went to the airport and slept there for two days – it was better to stay there because it wasn’t safe at home.“Public announcements were telling you not to go out nor open your front door if people knocked when you were at home.“Luckily, we got a flight out but many expatriate players didn’t.” Cofie, whose contract has another two years to run, is nervous about leaving the Ghanaian capital Accra to return to Petrojet even though he believes it would boost his career.“I would prefer that things go back to normal because Egypt have one of the best teams in the world and the talent there is good,” he added.“It’s good for the youngsters like us who are determined to get to the highest level but I just don’t know how I am going to feel when I am back in the country.“And I don’t know whether the [security situation] will be good enough for me to play as I normally do.”Source: BBC
Tags: Carnoustie, Nine hole, R&A Twenty English club golfers will tee it up at Carnoustie shortly before the world’s greatest golfers compete at The 147th Open in July.They’ll be among the 42 men and women from across GB&I who will compete in pairs in the final of The R&A’s 9-hole championship. It takes place on Saturday 14 July and will played over the first four and last five holes of the Championship Course at Carnoustie.The finish, over the 16th, 17th and 18th, is considered by many to be the toughest in golf and has created play-offs at the last three stagings of The Open. It’s where Jean van de Velde came to grief in the Barry Burn before eventually conceding the 1999 title to Scotland’s Paul Lawrie; and where Padraig Harrington twice visited the burn before triumphing in 2007.The 20 English players will secure their places in club qualifying events. All clubs affiliated to England Golf are invited to run a 9 hole stableford qualifier before 22 June. They must be open to men, women, boys and girls who are club members with a CONGU handicap.The finalists’ costs for travel and accommodation on Friday 13 July will be met by The R&A and they will also be entertained at a dinner on the Friday evening and at a closing lunch and presentation on Saturday after play.The R&A and England Golf promote 9 hole golf as a way to play and enjoy the game in less time, both socially and competitively for handicap purposes. Competitors will also adopt Ready Golf in the final, which is designed to speed up play.Duncan Weir, Executive Director – Golf Development at The R&A said: “Nine hole golf is continuing to grow in popularity among golfers so we are encouraging clubs throughout Great Britain and Ireland to offer men, women and juniors more opportunities to enjoy this shorter format of the game, both socially and competitively.“Following the success of last year’s event, we are working with our affiliates in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales to support more clubs holding qualifying events for their members with the incentive of playing one of world’s most renowned courses ahead of The Open.”The Open Championship will be played at Carnoustie from Thursday to Sunday, 19-22 July 2018.Carnoustie image courtesy The R&A 16 Jan 2018 English club golfers will share The Open stage
Let this season be a hard lesson, learned by hard knocks for Steeler head coach Mike Tomlin. In order for history not to repeat itself, Mr. Tomlin had better realize that it is not prudent to use two faces when dealing with his players anytime, anyplace or anywhere. It’s okay to shaft the media because hey, we are just the media and we have shafts of our own but when you jerk your own players around publicly then more often than not they will lose the trust they have in you and may lose the burning desire to run through walls to play and win for you. In trying times if a leader is not careful in the handling of his subordinates, the cauldron of competitiveness will fizzle like a match lit in a monsoon. Tomlin must learn to put his hand over their shoulder in public and slap them up side their head in private. The media cannot help Tomlin coach because the scribes “have come to bury Caesar (Tomlin), not to praise him;” the quote used on his defense in 2009 will live well after this season.Last Sunday at the Meadowlands the Bengals lost their season finale by resting their key players and leaving the playbook at home. That may come back to haunt them because when you also leave your heart at home that does not bode well for your future. I mean, c’mon, you could not be believe for a moment that the Steelers Nation was relying on the Bengals for a helping hand into the playoffs but just in case that they were, Pittsburgh should have realized that the Bengals were going to lay down against the Jets in a game that would help their nemesis of over four decades. Why? Well because you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe we should all realize that Cincy was faced with the possibility of playing the Jets twice in a week and chose not to reveal their cards but you mean to tell me that they could not play defense as well? The Jets may feel that once you beat a team regardless of the circumstances you can beat them again. The Bengals may win a playoff game or two but in the end they will revert back to who they really are, the “Bungles.”It would have been nice to have three teams from the AFC North in the post-season but Cincy is one of a few teams that made it and are shaking in their boots even though they have nothing to fear but fear itself. Meanwhile, the Ravens have the heart but they may not have the horses, but wait a darn minute, they won it all competing as a wild card before and it’s a new season and anything is possible.The Patriots lost more than a meaningless game to the Texans. Preliminary tests confirm that wide receiver Wes Welker tore both the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Sunday’s game at Houston. Welker’s injury, coupled with the Pats having to face the bloodthirsty B-More defense may well place the Pats into the category of one and done. Without Welker in the mix, the “Birds” will now use cover two on Randy Moss so much that he will more than likely feel that he is part of an ill-advised triple date. Welker makes the Patriots just an above average offense. Without Welker New England’s offense is suddenly slightly below average.The Ravens defense now has the comfort of throwing the kitchen sink at the Patriot offensive line and they are going to put pressure on T. Brady and he will not have the luxury of 1, 2, 3 progressive reads. Oh, by the way, New England had better not entertain the notion of running the ball. Their best bet would be to isolate Ray Lewis in as much pass coverage as possible because Lewis has shown that when he is not hovering around the line of scrimmage, he is vulnerable. If the Patriots allow B-More to keep seven and eight men in the box, their hopes of advancing in the post-season are going to be sent home in a pine box.As for the Steelers in 2010 watch out for dem, dere Browns.(Aubrey Bruce can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or communicate with him at his War Games blog: aubreybruce.blogspot.com.) It wasn’t the Ravens, Jets, Texans or Broncos winning or losing that pummeled the Black and Gold out of the post-season, it was the players in the Steelers locker room losing confidence in their ability to perform on a higher level. Could they have misplaced the trust in the man chosen to lead them? The Pittsburgh Steelers can thank the Cleveland Browns and the Oakland Raiders for making sure that they will be couch potatoes for the NFL 2009 post-season. They should also express tons of gratitude to their record-setting offense for occasional bouts of anemia because no team deserves to be in the playoffs if they cannot score more than six points on the frozen tundra by lake “Eerie” or allow the Raiders to spank their fannies at the “friendly” confines of Heinz Field.
Facebook44Tweet0Pin0Submitted by City of LaceyThe City of Lacey and Thurston County Board of Commissioners finalized an agreement to establish funding support and dedicated program resources at the Lacey Veterans Services Hub. The Thurston County area is home to more than 32,000 veterans, and the City of Lacey boasts more active duty service men and women living off JBLM than any other city in the South Puget Sound Area.Under the agreement, the City of Lacey will commit $125,000 to the Lacey Veterans Services Hub in 2017 and 2018 for facility management and operational costs. In turn, Thurston County will provide $30,000 annually during the same period to cover the facility’s annual lease expense. Thurston County will also provide on-site staff to administer the Thurston County Veterans Assistance Program.“Thurston County is a key partner in the future of the Lacey Veterans Services Hub, and their financial investment recognizes their commitment to South Sound veterans,” stated Lacey Mayor Andy Ryder.Since the Lacey Veterans Services Hub’s opening, more than 3,000 client appointments have been booked, including 350 for housing assistance. The operation offers five key “pillar services,” including employment, housing, nutrition, education, and healthcare. In addition, the Lacey Veterans Services Hub has a partnership with the Tacoma and Federal Way Veterans Center to provide behavioral health resources to veterans.“As a veteran myself, I understand how important it is to have resources available to veterans and their families in our community,” said Commission Chair Bud Blake. “We are proud to be providing services to those who have served the country for us.”The Lacey Veterans Services Hub is located on the Lacey campus of South Puget Sound Community College, 4232 6th Avenue SE. The community college provides a favorable lease rate in support of this veterans initiative.More than thirty organizations serve veterans and their family members at the 4,500-square-foot facility. Some of the providers staff permanent “satellite” offices on site, while others occupy rotating office space one or two days a week. Still others offer regular training or counseling sessions in the facility’s multi-purpose room, and some have referral relationships to provide programs and services off-site.For information, contact Scott Spence, Lacey City Manager, at email@example.com or 360-491-3214; or Ramiro Chavez, Thurston County Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-754-2964.
Image Courtesy: DPA/FC BarcelonaAdvertisement bgqkeNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs9gdsd7Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E2m88( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 7nhpWould you ever consider trying this?😱131a8xCan your students do this? 🌚8myxRoller skating! Powered by Firework Marc-André ter Stegen was inordinately praised after that incredible save against Slavia Prague last Thursday. The clip of the German shot stopper has gathered attention around social media to such an extent, the club has created a meme video dedicated to the save!Advertisement Image Courtesy: DPA/FC BarcelonaTitled ‘@mterstegen1 AIRLINES‘, the clip starts off with the German goalkeeper jumping high and stretching his arm to deflect Slavia forward Peter Olayinka’s clip, edited into a ‘shooting star’ meme. Check it out below, courtesy to Barça’s official Twitter.Advertisement The ‘shooting star’ meme trend started back in 2016, where clips of people, animals or objects jumping, falling or getting airborne was edited into them traversing over famous landscapes and finally into space and beyond. The hilarious meme, making proper use of the song ‘Shooting Star’ by Australian electronic music duo Bag Raiders.Ter Stegen here is also shown to fly off from the field, soaring over the Pyramids in Egypt, alongside military jets, past an astronaught in the space, and finally coming back to his spot and making that awesome save.The video has got a mixed response from the fans, some praising the creativity, while others are mocking it for being ”too cringey.”The UEFA Champions League Group F match between the Červenobílí and the Blaugranas at the Sinobo Stadium saw a 2-1 victory for the visitors, as club talisman and skipper Lionel Messi opened up the scoreline in the 3rd minute, while the rest were both scored by the home team. First the equalizer by Jan Bořil in thr 50th minute, 7 minutes later and Olayinka himself unfortunately sending one to their own net. Advertisement